$PATH question

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 22:48:44 MST 2014

The shell file IS marked executable.

I do not have a ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login

I DO have a ~/.profile but it appears not to have run at login because if I
do run it manually in a command shell, suddenly the path to my ~/bin does
work and the foo.sh works properly.

Still puzzled.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Nathan England <plug-discuss at nmecs.com>wrote:

> I would guess the file is not executable.
>
> chmod +x ~/bin/foo.sh
>

> On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 09:18:31 PM Dazed_75
> wrote:
> > I thought $PATH contained the series of paths searched
> to find an
> > executable file by the name specified on the command
> line.  Specifically if
> > my $ENV contains a $PATH which reads:
> >
> > /home/larry/bin:<more paths>
> >
> > that an executable file like foo.sh found in
> /home/larry/bin/ could be run
> > by simply typing foo.sh on the command line.  What am
> I doing wrong as it
> > does not work though it does if I type ./bin/foo.sh
> while in /home/larry/?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.