$PATH question

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 22:27:50 MST 2014

If you don't add export PATH=/home/larry/bin:${PATH} to your .bash_profile
(or .profile, or .bashrc depending on your shell and how you execute it),
you'd need to do it each time.  Adding the export into your profile or rc
files will make sure that's run at shell execution.  Consult your shell
documentation for the correct files and when/if they are loaded at any time.

For example, if you go through the standard login function, bash reads
/etc/bash_profile (fallback to /etc/profile), ~/.bash_profile,
~/.bash_login, and then ~/.profile, in that order.  Subshells take the rc
files, like /etc/bashrc and ~/.bashrc.  And of course, your various profile
and rc files usually contain things like bash_profile's: ". ~/.bashrc" and
debian's sourcing of scripts in /etc/profile.d in /etc/profile.

For general use, just add your stuff to ~/.profile and you'll almost always
get it for most shells that you interact with.

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't remember as I did it  long ago.  but when I type echo $PATH, what
> I get is:
>

> /home/larry/bin:/opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/sbin:/opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/bin:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
>
> does that mean I did? or if I need to export it, when and how often is it
> needed?
>

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Carl Parrish <cparrish at carlparrish.com>wrote:
>
>> Did you export?
>> On Feb 26, 2014 8:18 PM, "Dazed_75" <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I thought $PATH contained the series of paths searched to find an
>>> executable file by the name specified on the command line.  Specifically if
>>> my $ENV contains a $PATH which reads:
>>>
>>> /home/larry/bin:<more paths>
>>>
>>> that an executable file like foo.sh found in /home/larry/bin/ could be
>>> run by simply typing foo.sh on the command line.  What am I doing wrong as
>>> it does not work though it does if I type ./bin/foo.sh while in
>>> /home/larry/?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>>>
>>> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
>>> multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
>>> from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.

> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
> multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
> from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com