Duplicate MAC addresses

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Feb 6 17:22:15 MST 2014

Normal?  No, this goes against a lot of things networking, so definitely
not kosher.  Two mac's in a broadcast domain is an extremely bad thing
usually causing a switch to start flooding unicast traffic within a
vlan.  Microsoft thought this was a great way to do redundancy with
Network Load-Balancing replicating macs among cluster members until
network people realized it was breaking their lans (essentially turning
switches into hubs).  I have some mega-outages I can attribute to this
commonly over the years...

Does it happen?  Sure - as chinese companies clone each other and other
legit vendor hardware apparently eeprom data and all, not bothering to
register an oui id themselves, I'm not entirely surprised.  Buy those $5
ebay generic nics in bulk, i'm sure you'll start getting mac collisions.

Another reason to stay with reputable sources of hardware...

I'd be curious what hardware it is being cloned indiscriminately, as
would whoever owned the rights to the registered OUI.

https://www.wireshark.org/tools/oui-lookup.html

-mb