need help with RAID1 EFI GPT disks

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Feb 3 00:23:52 MST 2014

The only time I've used gpt with linux was with a efi-boot-only laptop,
but prior I can raid the boot sector drive still with software and not
have to use fakeraid at all for full partition redundancy. Still kind of
a new concept for a lot of people I think. Ubuntu otherwise happily
still uses mbr, so was a bit of a curve for me to have to adapt as they
don't bake their gpt or raid tools well in the initrd or install.

If you raided your /boot and *other* raid volume, I'd say just redo the
partitions with gdisk and resync the raid which is pretty easy (I have
to do this somewhat commonly with my ssd's). I can run swap and root
from lvm on the raid otherwise for full redundancy and easy disk
rebuilds if/when needed. That keeps failure recovery very easy. Only EFI
complicates this with crappy non-raidable fat32 partitions needed now
(eww, thanks microsoft).

My gpt/efi laptop looks much the same with dual ssd's, but has the first
partition as an identical fat32 partition on each to satiate ubuntu as
/boot/EFI and /bootEFI1, plus a mdraided /boot second, and crypt volume
third. If not adding encryption, lvm atop the mdraid pv for a lot more
flexibility in volume/redundancy restoration among disks. I just rsync
the stupid efi fat32 disks.

mb at host:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdh 8:112 0 111.8G 0 disk
├─sdh1 8:113 0 100M 0 part
│ └─md127 9:127 0 100M 0 raid1 /boot
└─sdh2 8:114 0 111.7G 0 part
└─md126 9:126 0 111.7G 0 raid1
└─spv0 (dm-0) 252:0 0 111.7G 0 crypt
├─vg0-root (dm-1) 252:1 0 2G 0 lvm /
├─vg0-swap (dm-2) 252:2 0 2G 0 lvm [SWAP]
├─vg0-var (dm-3) 252:3 0 2.5G 0 lvm /var
├─vg0-usr (dm-4) 252:4 0 10G 0 lvm /usr
├─vg0-home (dm-5) 252:5 0 32G 0 lvm /home
sdi 8:128 0 111.8G 0 disk
├─sdi1 8:129 0 100M 0 part
│ └─md127 9:127 0 100M 0 raid1 /boot
└─sdi2 8:130 0 111.7G 0 part
└─md126 9:126 0 111.7G 0 raid1
└─spv0 (dm-0) 252:0 0 111.7G 0 crypt
├─vg0-root (dm-1) 252:1 0 2G 0 lvm /
├─vg0-swap (dm-2) 252:2 0 2G 0 lvm [SWAP]
├─vg0-var (dm-3) 252:3 0 2.5G 0 lvm /var
├─vg0-usr (dm-4) 252:4 0 10G 0 lvm /usr
├─vg0-home (dm-5) 252:5 0 32G 0 lvm /home

-mb