need help with RAID1 EFI GPT disks

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Sun Feb 2 14:58:10 MST 2014

>> # fdisk -l | egrep "GPT|dev"
>> WARNING: fdisk doesn't support GPT.
>> /dev/sdb1 1 267350 2147483647+ ee GPT

>> # mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1
>> mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdb1: No such
>> file or directory

This is an odd message to get, and probably means that udev didn't find
the device and create it because udev and/or the rescue system's GPT
support is flaking out.  Does the kernel in this rescue system support
GPT?  "mknod /dev/sdb1 b 8 17" to create it.  You may wish to "mknod
/dev/sdc1 8 33" in case the other softRAID-1 disk has better stuff on
it.

As other people have said, there should be no need to use mdadm to
assemble an array out of RAID-1 partitions.  "mount /dev/sdb1
/mnt/somewhere" should do something useful if the device node and
/mnt/somewhere exist.

On 2014-02-02 12:57, Michael Butash wrote:
> Use gdisk if/when doing gpt

That too.  (One day, we will forsake our filesystems and break all
bonds of block devices to get a disk larger than 2T for actual
experience with GPT, but today is *not* this day.  This day, we *SOLVE
TECH PROBLEMS!!!1!*)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity