need help with RAID1 EFI GPT disks

Brian bhourigan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 10:59:13 MST 2014

Brian has good advice here.. but if it wasn't obvious you'll need a Linux
system up and running
where you can mount the disk on its own. I'd also suggest scanning /dev for
partitions
on your disk.

If your 3TB disk is /dev/sdb, look for /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2 etc. If those
don't show then
the RAID metadata may be occupying the first parts of the disk or the
partition table
could be corrupted.

I'm mostly a FreeBSD guy and I'd suggest using scan_ffs to recover the
slice table but
I think gpart can also do this on Linux.

http://www.brzitwa.de/mb/gpart/

It can scan the disk for partition signatures and help you rebuild the
table. I'd work on one
disk at a time so if something goes wrong you don't jeopardize your data.

If you have another system with 3TB+ of data the safest way to play with it
is to set it up
as a loop device. Something such as:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=data.img bs=128k
losetup /dev/loop0 data.img

You can mess with /dev/loop0 all you want and not change any data
on your disks should you end up deciding to send it to a commercial
recovery company.

- Brian