need help with RAID1 EFI GPT disks

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Sun Feb 2 09:25:31 MST 2014

I've spent over 15 hours on this (google . . . head . . .desk . . . repeat).

I need to recover the data off of one of these hard drives.

Background
Two 3TB hard drives in a Raid 1 mirror, working fine for months. OS:
Centos 6.5
Woke up a few days ago to a dead system - looks like motherboard
failed.  And when it failed, it appears to have corrupted the RAID
partition (supposition - see problems below).  I moved the drives to
another system and it will boot then the kernel panics.

Partitions
part 1 - /boot
part 2 - swap
part 3 - RAID

I think the RAID partition has just one filesystem (/).

What I've done:
Rescue mode: Boots, unable to assemble raid set:

# fdisk -l | egrep "GPT|dev"
WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util
fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util
fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80025280000
Disk /dev/sdb: 3000.6 GB, 3000591900160 bytes
/dev/sdb1                          1           267350  2147483647+ ee  GPT
Disk /dev/sdc: 3000.6 GB, 3000591900160 bytes
/dev/sdc1                          1           267350  2147483647+ ee  GPT

# mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb
mdadm: Cannot assemble mbr metadata on /dev/sdb
mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted

# mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdb1: No such file or directory
mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted

parted tells me I've found a bug and gives me directions to report it.

-----------

Booted Knoppix and ran disktest.  I can copy the RAID partition to
another drive as a disk image and I end up with image.dd.  When I try to
build an array out of it, I get an error: Not a block device.

Tried commercial RAID recovery software (Disk Internals) - it hung after
identifying 2.445 million files.

Ideas on what to do next?

Is anyone here up for a challenge?  Anyone need beer money? I need the
data recovered, and will pay :)

All help is appreciated :)

--
Regards,