Determine when, by who, a centos 6 package was installed.

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Wed Dec 31 08:35:58 MST 2014

On 2014-12-31 06:13, Keith Smith wrote:
> I am trying to determine who installed GIT and when GIT was installed
> and what repository it came from.
> The date stamp on /usr/share/git-core says Oct 31 16:55.  The server
> did not exist until early November.

/root/install.log should contain the packages installed from the normal
installer or the kickstart installer.  Things installed after that would
be recorded in /var/log/yum.log .  However, this'll only tell you when
the RPM was installed, not which non-root user was responsible or which
repository it came from.  You could try "rpm -q -f
/usr/share/git-core/templates/description --qf
%{NAME}%{INSTALLTIME}%{VENDOR}" and convert the timestamp from
seconds-since-epoch to a regular time as well.

If the log files and RPM database don't contain anything about a git
RPM, then whoever installed it might've done "./configure --prefix=/usr
&& make && su -c 'make install' ".  At that point, you go trawling
through users' .bash_history files....

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity