Need Help with NFS file permissions

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 13:45:03 MST 2014

NFS exports might not be the technology you want to use.  If it's possible,
I'd setup an rsync script, because that will let you preserve user
permissions, directory structure, time stamp, and let you resume partial
backups, and it's much easier to set it up on a timer via a cron script--it
takes about 20 minutes to learn how to use and script with so it's really a
good time investment.  I was in a shop that did NFS exports for a while
only to find the backups weren't always viable and only had about a 70%
success rate for a usable nightly backup.  When we switched over to rsync,
we would only get one bad backup every two months.
NFS just backs things up based on the Unix User ID in /etc/passwds (or
whatever PAM authentication module you're using, so you'd really need to
setup NIS in your house for this to work properly) on the host machine.  If
the user doesn't exist, it will preserve the user id and permissions by
default, but if that user/group doesn't exist on the server hosting the
backup, then you won't have read-write permissions to restore it.

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 12:52 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
wrote:

> I am setting up a usb drive to act as a NAS for backing up a couple of
> computers (Linux and Mac) on my network. I have it running, but I want to
> make sure I have the correct settings.
>
> I read quite a few Debian and Ubuntu howtos about NFS, but they sometimes
> offered conflicting information. For the backups, I want to preserve the
> file permissions, time stamp, etc.
>
> In /etc/exports I have
>
> /media/backup
> 192.xxx.xxx.0/24(rw,sync,root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=0,insecure)
>
> The insecure is for Macs to access on ports other than 1024....at least
> that is what one article said. It does not mean the connection is
> insecure....
>
> /etc/fstab for the usb drive
>
> UUID=6997d1c2-5ed7-4f32-9d5e-564cadd7bc6c /media/backup ext4
> rw,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,sync,data=ordered 0  0
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Todd Millecam