Laptop Woes

Bob Wallace bob.wallace39 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 10:17:47 MST 2014

On 12/23/2014 09:30 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
> My daughter's Dell D620 seems to be dying. I think the screen is
> dead...the splash screen at boot time does not appear even though the
> HD light is on. It has Ubuntu on it now. I tried running the Dell Diag
> diak, but the screen remained dark as well.

Had that issue come up several years ago in Riverside, California. Off
to the repair shop and wait for a new display to be put in place.

> She has one more semester in high school, then off to college with a
> shiny new Macbook Pro. Sort of a family tradition as her two older
> sisters went down the gray path and abandoned Linux for iOS when they
> went to college. I read there will be another generation of Macbook
> Pros out this summer, so I would like to wait to buy her that new Mac
> until after high school graduation...plus relatives always chip in a
> little extra to mitigate the sting of the Apple price tag...;)
>
> Anyway, does anyone have an older laptop they are willing to sell that
> is comparable to a D620 (Core duo processor T7600, 14.1", A couple of
> Gigs of RAM)?

If you are unable to locate a replacement, search for "refurbished
laptop" and check the results. Some of those outfits are set up to look
for specific laptops by brand and/or insides. One result showed a shop
in Mesa.

-Bob