BSD-Windows

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:33:56 MST 2014

Here is what Wikipedia saya:

86-DOS (which imitated CP/M) was purchased by Microsoft
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft> and developed further as MS-DOS
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS> and PC DOS
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS>. Microsoft first licensed,[6]
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS#cite_note-86DOS_license-6> then
purchased[7] <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS#cite_note-86DOS_sale-7>
86-DOS <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS> from Seattle Computer
Products <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Computer_Products> (SCP),
which was modified for the IBM PC by Microsoft employee Bob O'Rear
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_O%27Rear> with assistance from SCP
(later Microsoft) employee Tim Paterson
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Paterson>.[8]
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS#cite_note-DosMan-8>O'Rear got 86-DOS
to run on the prototype PC in February 1981. 86-DOS had to be converted
from 8-inch to 5.25-inch floppy disks
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disks> and integrated with the BIOS
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS>, which Microsoft was helping IBM to
write.[9] <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS#cite_note-Ref-2-9> IBM had
more people writing requirements for the computer than Microsoft had
writing code. O'Rear often felt overwhelmed by the number of people he had
to deal with at the ESD (Entry Systems Division) facility in Boca Raton
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boca_Raton>. 86-DOS was rebranded
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebranded> IBM PC DOS 1.0 for its August
1981 release with the IBM PC.

look here: it says here that (like linux) windows started out "inspired" by
unix

Later, a group of Microsoft programmers (primarily Paul Allen
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Allen>, Mark Zbikowski
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Zbikowski> and Aaron Reynolds)[9]
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS#cite_note-Ref-2-9> began work on PC
DOS 2.0. Completely rewritten from the ground up, DOS 2.0 added
subdirectories and hard disk support for the new IBM XT
<http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_Computer_XT>, which debuted in
March 1983. A new 9-sector format bumped the capacity of floppy disks to
360 kB. The Unix <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix>-inspired kernel
featured file handles <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_handle> in place
of the CP/M-derivative file control blocks and loadable device drivers
could now be used for adding hardware beyond what the IBM PC BIOS
supported.

PC-DOS remained a rebranded version of MS DOS until 1993 when IBM and
Microsoft parted ways.

sources:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_DOS

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/86-DOS

kinda interesting reading for a rainy day