Using Dban

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Dec 15 21:54:41 MST 2014

Am 14. Dez, 2014 schwätzte Stephen M so:

moin moin,

> There is a problem using dban.  When I started it up it never gave me
> options on what to scan.  Now my two SATA drives along with my USB drive
> are not working.  I need help to understand what is going on please.

dban wipes every drive it can find.

The website says, "It automatically deletes the contents of any hard disk
that it can detect."

http://www.dban.org/

Sounds like something to avoid unless you need to set up a disassembly
line and just rip through whatever gets connected.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Stephen Partington <cryptworks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Todd thanks. I am filing this away for my own use later.
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Todd Millecam <tyggna at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, if it's SSD drives, don't do it this way, this is solely for
>>> plattered drives.  If you are using an SSD, then you just need to issue a
>>> secure command to the drive and tell it to wipe itself--which you can do
>>> through hdparm:
>>>
>>> $~ hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass PasSWorD /dev/sda  #sets up security on the drive
>>>
>>> $~ hdparm --user-master u --security-erase PasSWorD /dev/sda # the point of no return delete everything on your SSD drive command

>>> --
>>> Todd Millecam

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,
#  keine Ahnung und keinen (.)plan. -- die Toten Hosen