FastCGI vs mod_php for Drupal

Todd Millecam tyggna at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 11:57:28 MST 2014

FastCGI is faster than mod_* in general, unless you're a python shop, then
wsgi is probably better.  It looks like the php-equivalent project is
php-fpm.

FastCGI is highly optimized C-code specific to dishing out dynamic web
requests.
mod_php is just the php interpreter embedded into apache.

Another nice thing about FastCGI is it lets you spawn/control multiple
worker threads, so it tends to be better for scaling-out your app, and you
can redirect traffic to workers that aren't necessarily on localhost and
use apache as a faux load-balancing solution.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am being told by our data center that FastCGI is less resource intensive
> than mod_php.  I am being told this will help with the load put on the
> server by Drupal.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Keith