memcached vs tuning MySql

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Dec 12 13:04:29 MST 2014

Hi,

I'm working on a dual quad server with 16GB RAM.  Free says it is using
about 10GB.

It serves several websites, the main one is a very active Drupal
website.  As you know Drupal is a resource hog.  This one is even more
so since there is tons of modules adding to the mix.

I am told I should tune MySql instead of using memcache.

The default max_allowed_packet is 1M.  Druapl requires 16M  I set it at
32M.  I page load is much faster and this is with memcache loaded and
configured.  Memcache is currently configured to 64M of RAM for caching.
  Seems very small.

Drupal uses innoDB and I am reading that increasing the
innodb_buffer_pool_size will lead to a bust in performance.  I assume
this will reduce IO and the server load should go down.

There is 4GB of free RAM and the server has not used any swap since it
was rebooted last night.  The innodb_buffer_pool_size default value is
128MB. Since I do not know what to expect I am thinking of setting it to
1GB and see what happens and work up from there.

Any feedback is much appreciated!!

Keith

--
Keith Smith