Distro to run Drupal on

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Dec 9 18:38:14 MST 2014

I'm looking at Ubuntu 14.04 LTS  And it is running PHP 5.5 which will no
longer be supported after June of 2016.  That would be about a year and
a half from now.

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is supported through Jan or Feb of 2019 or about 4
years.

How does this work?  Does someone patch the unsupported PHP, MySql, and
Apache or does Ubuntu add the newer version that is supported by their
maintainers?  In other words is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS going to always contain
PHP 5.5 (and maintain it themselves) or will Ubuntu 14.04 LTS pull in a
more recent version of PHP that is still supported by PHP?

Thanks!!
Keith

On 2014-12-09 07:34, James Dugger wrote:
> Keith. At work we are currently running Drupal 7.34 on RHEL 6.5. Our
> local development vms are running on CentOS of the same version. I
> feel your pain however.
>
> I am looking at Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server to run the LAMP stack needed
> for Drupal 8.  I have run Ubuntu for many uses over the past 5 years
> and it is a solid server distribution. Ubuntu 's LTS server versions
> are outpacing CentOS and even Debian itself as the web server of
> choice.  It is the number one choice for servers in an Openstack
> deployment. It is the most provisioned server thanks to Vagrant and
> Packer.
>
> Others may disagree but I am seriously considering the move to an
> Openstack cloud with our Web servers running 12.04 LTS for Drupal.

Keith Smith