Distro to run Drupal on

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Mon Dec 8 21:30:53 MST 2014

Drupal 8 will require PHP 5.4.5  CentOS 7 comes with PHP 5.4.  CentOS 6
is running PHP 5.3.3  I need a couple packages that are not available in
CentOS 6.6 such as Memcached 3.06. version 3.05 is the lasted on.  I'm
going to look into that repository the other gentleman suggested to see
if that resolves my issues.

flame war : an argument between Internet users who repeatedly provoke
each other with personal attacks through e-mail and other forms of
online communication.

On 2014-12-08 21:17, Michael Torres wrote:
> Wow!  Are you really updating that much PHP code to out pace 5.3?  I
> am a bit confused though.......what exactly do you need?  Do you need
> a specific version of PHP?  or do you want the latest and greatest
> linux server to run an older version of php?
>
> If a latest and greatest distro of linux supports the latest version
> of PHP (lets say 5.5)  but your code currently only runs on 5.3 or
> 5.4, just manually install the version of PHP that your application
> runs on ( 5.3 or 5.4).  You can still get updates for that php
> version from the repo's
>
> Locally on my PC  i have Fedora and I I have PHP 5.5 running.....
>
> At work on my work PC I have PHP 5.4 running for development
>
> On our servers  we both 5.3 and 5.4 versions pf PHP running....
>
> I use the eclipse IDE for development and if I need to develop for a
> specific version of PHP, I just change the properties in eclipse and
> the PDT plugin knows what is available for that version.
>
> not sure what a flame war is..somebody enlighten me please!
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Keith Smith
> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been on CentOS 6.x for a while.  And before that it was
>> 5.x... I support a Drupal install and CentOS just does not keep up
>> very well.  CenOS 6.x is running PHP 5.3 which is no longer
>> supported.  I understand RedHat maintained PHP during the O/S life
>> cycle.  At several points that was not enough.
>>
>> I'm pondering another distro that is a little more current and
>> still stable.  This is to run Drupal on.  Any suggestions?  I'm
>> looking at Ubuntu as a potential distro.
>>
>> Thanks in advance and I am not trying to start a flame war.
>>
>> Keith
>>
>> --
>> Keith Smith
>

> Links: