Need Linksys Powercord

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Tue Dec 2 11:38:05 MST 2014

Take it from someone that has watched somebody fry a motherboard...

Make sure whatever power supply you provide is 5V, do not deviate from
that.  Amps can be higher, just not lower.

I was always taught to think about it as a watertower...  the size of the
tower is the amps (amount of water or electricity available), the size of
the supply hose is the volts (how fast the water or electricity can be
delivered).  So, if the watertower/amps are larger... no big deal, but if
the hose/volts are larger than the end destination is looking for bad
things can happen.

Hope this helps
Kevin

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> Now that is funny!!  "I just know enough to keep from electrocuting myself
> when hacking things.".
>

> On 2014-12-02 12:05, Michael Butash wrote:
>
>> Hah yes, "minor details".  If something wants 2A @ 5V, best to find it
>> that or as close as possible with the little bricks.  Bigger is ok,
>> but as Rusty says, too big might expect different load expectancies
>> and cook your device, too small it'll flake out with not enough.
>>
>> All this comes with some implied "don't blame me if you blow up your
>> device for not using the original part or understand electrical
>> engineering yourself to engage in these mix-n-match shenanigans"
>> disclaimer.  :)
>>
>> Of which I am not an ee, so trust nothing, I just know enough to keep
>> from electrocuting myself when hacking things.
>>
>> -mb
>>

>> On 12/02/2014 10:04 AM, Carruth, Rusty wrote:
>>
>>> The only addition I would give is (and I'll bet it only goes to you,
>>> Michael, for reasons I won't bore you with - however, if this does not show
>>> up on the PLUG list in a reasonable time would you mind forwarding it?):

> Keith Smith

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people
always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can
become great.”
― Mark Twain <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1244.Mark_Twain>