Why have HackFests been Dropped from the PLUG Schedule?

Kaoru Wilbur m.kaoru.wilbur at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 09:38:25 MST 2014

Definitely! Thanks for that.

When asked what I would do with my pi, I mentioned I was going to do a Tor
Relay. One member looked at me, laughed and said, Good luck with that.

Another time, I was assisting someone with an install. The idiot next to me
was flinching twitching and making grunting noises.
Finally, I turned off the machine and said, "And what would you do?!"
He made a suggestion which was what I actually had done already.
The woman who I was assisting even said, "Isn't that what you were doing"

Another incident was when I stated that one member of the installfests was
rude and if Todd didn't take care of that, I would. I was accused of
threatening this member when I was simply stating in front of a group of
people that Mark was a rude arrogant problem that needed to be dealt with.

Now, maybe, it's just Todd. However, I went to leadership who did nothing
until I started making noise at a higher level. The noise wasn't even about
the gender bias but the push on Ubuntu and the treatment of members.
Incidentally, when I went to local leadership, he acted as if I were lying
before any investigation.

Women come to your meetings and then leave. Maybe the general population of
the group do not realize why because so many people come and go from the
PLUG. Maybe people think women cannot handle the content or that they are
leaving because of other reasons.

I was all but pushed out of your old boys club. In fact, Todd stated he
didn't want me at the installfests. Was that because I was insisting on
positive change or because I was female. You tell me? He laughed at me
several times. Of course, he was not that nice to other members either. I
never noticed him condescend to any of the males though.

There is gender bias. Maybe not at your local meetings because it's just
ALL LECTURE.