Need Linksys Powercord

WEBMASTER webmaster at kexsof.com
Tue Dec 2 05:53:13 MST 2014

Nathan,
Some of the old bricks are painfully cheap and fail.  Sometimes it's
just a capacitor but that usually means making a mess out of the brick
just to get it working.

Some routers require a lot of current (>1amp) which makes the smaller
bricks fail.  I've used this fix for both 12v and 5v routers.  If you
have a spare quiet or fan-less ATX power supply or don't mind the fan
noise

If you're handy with a soldering iron or gun, here's the messy solution
I have employed in the past: (you'll want a VOM - volt-ohm meter or DVM)

Just cut the cord off at the brick.  Make sure there is continuity (i.e.
a connection) between each bare wire from the brick end and the plug
terminal on the other end.  Make sure the two bare wires and the plug
are not shorted.

Take an old ATX power supply and splice the plug into the 12 volt side
(yellow and black) of one of the molex connectors - those are the
(usually) white four-wire ones.  (The other wire with black, which is
common and negative in polarity)  Make sure the polarity (+,-) is the
same as noted on the brick.  On the main ATX power connector, short the
green wire to a black wire (use a piece of bare copper wire and secure
with a short piece of duct tape).

It's a primitive solution, if not temporary, but you probably won't see
another power failure with this fix.

This fix is only good for 12 or 5 (red wire) volt power requirements.

Alternate fix is to find a good 1+amp 12volt brick and splice the old
cord into it.

Jon/coverturtle

tsu.co/coverturtle

On 2014-12-01 23:40, David Schwartz wrote:
> Check your nearest GoodWill Store.
>
> They always seem to have lots of older routers, although they separate
> the wallwarts from them for whatever stupid reason.
>
> -David
>

>> On Dec 1, 2014, at 10:37 PM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:
>>

>> Hey all,
>>
>> The power brick for my Linksys E2000 died. I bought a new Linksys and
>> used the old power cord and the new linksys failed to power up like
>> the old linksys. So I tried the power brick from the new linksys and
>> it works on both routers perfectly...
>>
>> So, I'm looking to find a 1.0amp 12v power brick for a linksys or
>> similar that will work. I don't want to spend the money to buy a
>> variable power brick, they're not cheap and I am... ha ha
>>
>> Has anyone got a dead linksys I can come and pick up? I'm in the west
>> valley but might be willing to drive a ways if you have one!
>>
>> I appreciate your help!
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Nathan England
>>
>> (480) 559-9681

Regards,
Nathan England

NME Consulting Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England ( nathan at nmecs.com )
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security Consulting
(480) 559.9681