Updating non-packaged PHP

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:17:24 MST 2014

There are compatibility problems between PHP 5.2 and 5.3.  Some of your
code may require updating.  Generally for that sort of thing I'd take an
image of the server in question and do the update on the image, qa the heck
out of it, have the fixes done as needed, and when I was confident, go
forward.  Or, I would build a new system with the desired versions, and do
the same with the code.

This kind of legacy maintenance is the nightmare that sysadmins have to
deal with regularly.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Alan Dayley <adayley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have inherited administration of a dedicated server running CentOS 5.2.
> It is serving three live websites, among other services. I need to update
> PHP from 5.2.x to 5.3 on this server.
>
> "No problem!" I thought, "I'll just fire up yum and see what is what."
>
> PHP is not in the package management system. It is in the yum exclusion
> list, which I overrode but still have no reference to PHP at all in any
> operation coming back from yum. Yet PHP is working on the system. Installed
> in some manual process, I assume.
>
> Now I am in fear of breaking things since wandering in the filesystem
> without package management to guide me is outside of my comfort zone.
>
> Am I right to be in fear? Do you have a good reference on how I could
> proceed? How would you proceed?
>
> Alan

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com