Installfest matters

Walter Mack wmack at componentsw.com
Tue Aug 19 12:08:37 MST 2014

A couple of comments:

from the HOWTO:
_____________________________
Roles:

People involved in an installfest will assume one or more of the
following roles

coordinator

    contact for all other participants  --> TODD

host

    has the connection to the location  -->TODD

receptionist

      *

        greets people as they come in, gives them a name tag and has
        them sign a waiver

      *

        can direct people to the restrooms, the nearest computer store

      *

        orders food and beverages

tier 1 support

    people who are knowledgeable about Linux and are willing to share
    their knowledge and provide hands-on assistance to users --> TODD
    and others

tier 2 support

    sets up and maintains network hardware and services (DNS, DHCP),
    mirrors of Linux distributions --> TODD

___________________________
during installfest (everyting done by TODD)

      3.1.3. administration

Linux distributions (distros)

    Make sure that you will have several copies of the latest versions
    of the major Linux distributions available on CD. To learn which
    distributions to make available, please do a little research on the
    Web sites listed in the appendix of this document.

installfest server

    You may want to consider setting up a server for:

      *

        DNS

      *

        DHCP

      *

        mirrors of distributions

    You should provide multiple methods of accessing the distributions
    on the server:

      *

        FTP

      *

        rcp

      *

        HTTP

      *

        CD burning

      *

        NFS

_____________________________

networking equipment

    someone will need to bring network switches and cables -->TODD

signage

    You should have a few signs posted to help people find their way
    around the location and provide other information. -->TODD

The people who run the fest need to be at the location at least one hour
before the fest is to begin. They will need time to set up the network,
installfest server, power system, signage, etc. --TODD

Make sure that all areas are cleaned up because you may want to use the
location again and you do not want to give the location owner a bad
impression. Look for: items people have forgotten, items that people
brought as "give aways", drink cans and cups. -->TODD and others (and I
see a lot of people JUST STANDING AROUND HAVING AN OPINION).

Does this look like a pattern?

I think its easy to have pie in the sky ideas of how to do this better.
I'm also convinced that there are plenty of things we can do better. But
I really DO NOT appreciate when the ones that don't pull the weight are
trying to tell the ones who pull the wait what to do!!

I usually consider myself well tempered, but this discussion is getting
to me.