Installing VirtualBox on Mint 17 KDE failed

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Aug 17 09:16:15 MST 2014

In the information that apt gave when you installed was a section that
looked like:

Suggested packages:
   libvncserver0-dbg virtualbox-guest-additions-iso vde2
Recommended packages:
   virtualbox-dkms virtualbox-source virtualbox-qt

For Virtualbox to work you have to have the kernel modules provided by
the package virtualbox-dkms for it to work.  Why that's not a dependency
I can't tell you.  I would also recommend that you install virtualbox-qt
and virtualbox-guest-additions-iso to get a complete install of virtualbox.

I know that Ubunutu has turned on APT's system to automatically install
recommended packages.  Mint must have turned that off.  The downside is
obvious, you get broken or partially functional software, the upside is
that when you install stuff it can be smaller because it doesn't drag in
a whole bunch of other stuff automatically.  I believe that Ubuntu's
setting has greatly helped promote the myth that KDE programs are huge
and bloated because when the Unity folks install a KDE program is also
brings in various other programs that aren't essential to it's core
functionality.... but then again, the programs are feature rich when
they do get on your system.
For Ubuntu people that don't want the bloat you can add the
--no-install-recommends to your apt-get command to tell it to just
install the program you are requesting and any of it listed
dependencies, but nothing else.

Brian Cluff