Laptop Recommendations

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Tue Aug 12 21:58:51 MST 2014

I’m surprized that people even bother asking questions like this these days, especially when it comes to Linux.

You can run Linux in a system with an 800 MHz Atom CPU, 256 MB of RAM and 20 GB HDD and it runs just fine.

There are tiny Media boxes you can get for $50 that have 1.2 GHz ARMs, 4 GB of RAM, gigabit WiFi, and you can plug in as much storage as you want via USB.

My 10-year old Dell Inspiron 9300 has a 1.6 GHz Centrino CPU, 3 GB of RAM, and a 120 GB HDD, and while it’s slow to boot Win XP, it runs most apps just fine. (It needs a new battery, tho.)

My current machine is a MacBook Pro with a 2.7 GHz quad-core i7, 768 GB SSD, and 16 GB of RAM. I run it with a second 24” HD display, and it’s configured with 20 desktops (10 up and 10 down). I do all of my Windows development in a VMWare VM running Windows 7. It’s fast and I suspect will last a very long time. And under the hood, it’s running some Unix variant (Mach, which is I think a BSD derivative).

The thing that kills it  (and every other computer I use) is browser windows. Browsers leak memory like crazy. Every one of them.

Last fall I bought an ASUS laptop with Win 7 on it from Best Buy for $275 because MS was about to ship Win 8, so the retailers were flushing out everything at a big discount. I don’t even remember how it’s configured, only that it was a screaming deal at the time.

Buy whatever you can afford that’s fairly new. It’ll probably work just fine.

As for the disk … I’d recommend a Seagate Hybrid Drive. Get the 1TB with 8 or 16 GB of cache. They’re under $100 and nearly as fast as an SSD.

(BTW, a word of warning: once you go hybrid or SSD, you’ll want to poke your eyes out waiting for stuff to open up on machines with regular HDDs on them!)

-David