linux from scratch 6.6

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 16:14:55 MST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I started over. I am now at the section where we remove the 'I have no
> name!' prompt. The instructions are to start a new shell. Well.... I guess
> that is okay but the way I am doing this is:
> I have two computers. One I am building LFS on and the other I am building
> LFS from via ssh. SO I start a new shell and ssh into the LFS computer.
> Then I do the steps in 6.2.2 and 6.2.3 but my user is still th user I
> ssh(ed) with. I don't know what to say. I guess I could just not start the
> new shell and then su when I need to issue a command as root. I hope this
> is enough info to tell me what to do.
> :-)~MIKE~(-:

Uh ohhhhh...... the power went on the LFS machine and so I need to restart
LFS at chapter 6. I did as the book instructs and do the steps at 6.2.2 and
6.2.3 but realized $LFS wasn't set. What am I doing wrong? What else do I
need to do to restart LFS?

This is what I've done:

   <section 6.2.2>
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
/dev on /dev type none (rw,bind)
   <section 6.2.3>
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt devpts devpts $LFS/dev/pts -o
gid=5,mode=620
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt proc proc $LFS/proc
mount: proc already mounted
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt sysfs sysfs $LFS/sys
mount: sysfs already mounted or /sys busy
mount: according to mtab, sysfs is already mounted on /sys
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/run
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw)

   then I verified $LFS wasn't set

root at debian:/home/mike# echo $LFS

   then I set $LFS

root at debian:/home/mike# export LFS=/mnt/lfs

   then I redid 6.3.3

root at debian:/home/mike# mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
mount: mount point /mnt/lfs/dev does not exist
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt devpts devpts $LFS/dev/pts -o
gid=5,mode=620
mount: mount point /mnt/lfs/dev/pts does not exist
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt proc proc $LFS/proc
mount: mount point /mnt/lfs/proc does not exist
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt sysfs sysfs $LFS/sys
mount: mount point /mnt/lfs/sys does not exist
root at debian:/home/mike# mount -vt tmpfs tmpfs $LFS/run
mount: mount point /mnt/lfs/run does not exist
root at debian:/home/mike#

   then I realized I had to mount the LFS partition (mount /dev/sda6
/mnt/lfs) for $LFS to work. I'm so happy I figured that out on my own! But
still I do not know about starting the new shell thing..... I know.... do I
need to redo section 6.4? One more thing, now after I open the new shell
and ssh to the LFS machine:

bmike1 at CQ57-1:~$ ssh mike at 192.168.0.14
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
bmike1 at CQ57-1:~$ ssh root at 192.168.0.14
ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer
bmike1 at CQ57-1:~$

why is it doing this?