Large Infrastructure question

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Aug 8 10:07:40 MST 2014

Googling it leads to much more verbose descriptions than you'll want,
otherwise Bryan's suggestion suffices.  :)

Let the routing protocol that runs the internet (bgp) do your
load-balancing, just make sure your app can service requests anywhere,
literally.

You need to understand the networking involved to make that work, or any
*cloud* solution.

It's funny, enterprises find this "cloud" story compelling, but then
quickly realize their applications are highly state-unaware usually, and
really can only work in active/passive capacity (ie. about anything
windoze-based).  They think somehow the cloud magically fixes this, but
instead you have to accept that stateless, asynchronous transactions
what make real cloud applications work.

I know a fairly large org here in town that took legacy crap code (asp
ported horribly to something .net-ish) in their website app, pushed it
into azure because they bought the magical tale of microsoft fixing that
with fairies and pixie dust in the service. Problem is they could only
host in one availability zone because of the legacy stated nature of the
application that latency between the app backend was an issue to
replicate between zones and actually work.  Then they realize Azure goes
down, a lot. They wanted me to magically fix it with the network
somehow, I had to them to fix their crappy app first, and no mssql
enterprise clusters can't do synchronous replication a thousand miles away.

The trick is meeting in between.  More app dev's, especially remotely
"web-ish", need to understand things like network BGP routing,
anycasting, differences between tcp and udp, synchronous/asynchronous
data flows, unicast vs. multicasting, etc as it *is* part of their
application when they get to a point. This why we network guys are
putting 100G in data centers, and across WAN's now, but it doesn't make
developer apps any less crappy still that they actually *require* it
because they refuse to believe there are limits to network bandwidth vs.
dma or sata.

I learned unix and even active directory because I was tired of stupid
server and app people telling me to fix the network, when I found it was
generally their applications abusing it.  Very few ever take the time to
learn the network side, especially in M$ land, and it shows in horribly
inefficient application infrastructures.  I find it's still true 15
years later.

-mb