OT: Wanted: Android App Developer $??? Reward ...

Paul Mooring paul at getchef.com
Mon Aug 4 14:09:40 MST 2014

I think you're mostly right but missing the larger point here.  Mobile
platforms aren't like their much more open desktop brethren.  In the world
of mobile you more or less get the tool chain provider by the vendor (Java,
Objective-C or Swift) for native apps.  While I expect professional
developers could easily pick up those languages, mastering tools takes time
and Joe was initially looking for someone more ready to "jump in".

To provide an analogy more apropos to this list, I make my living working
on Linux and generally working in Ruby.  Those are both just tools and
given my background I wouldn't hesitate to tell a prospective employer I
could pick up Solaris and Python if that's the stack they use.  However,
even with significant experience fully learning that stack would take time
and make me a bad fit for contracting work.

As far as Joe's project being "over-specced" in any case the spec is what
it is.  When I refered to the "just one more thing" problem before I meant
the same thing I think you mean when you say it's overspec'ed, there's
nothing wrong with wanting things a particular way and the best
apps/projects really do sweat the details.  The root of the problem is that
non-devs *greatly* underestimate the time and effort involved in those
details.  The important thing is to remember that everything is really just
a function of time and money, a project that's over-spec'd at $1000 and 1
day is under-spec'd at $100k and 6 months and unfortunately if you don't
have any dev experience (or frequently if you do) your time estimates are
probably at least an order of magnitude too low.

--
Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer