OT: Wanted: Android App Developer $??? Reward ...

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sun Aug 3 16:52:23 MST 2014

Thanks for your insights, Paul.

You last wrote, in part:
> ... Currently android/java developers are in great demand,
> where I live the average salary is around $110,000/yr or
> roughly $2100/week ... [but they need] a weeks time on any
> project just trying to understand what needs to happen ...
> [then must anticipate lots of "one more simple thing" changes

While I do appreciate your perspective, the other side of the coin is
that there are literally hundreds of thousands of excellent FREE apps in
the Google Playstore that are hugely more complex than the extremely
simple app that we need; and it must surely be obvious that nobody was
paid $2,100 per week to create the vast majority of those FREE apps.

Second, the thought that it would take any marginally competent developer
a week (or even a half a day) to comprehend and get a grip on the simple
app that we got completed to its current state for a total cost of $200.
could only mean that such a candidate was actually incompetent.

Third, with our project, there would be no need to have to deal with any
"one more simple thing" changes because this project is completely spec'd
out to final form in every tiny detail.

> ... a great fit for ... students or a dev trying to expand
> their skill set (web dev still learning mobile apps, etc.)

This, of course, is a good idea that makes perfect sense and I am
entirely open to this approach. That is how we got our initial edition
completed for only $200.  But the student who built this first edition
has gone back to school, is working full time, and has a family so he
just doesn't have time to continue with our project.

Finally, for any competent developer, if s/he actually knew what s/he was
doing and didn't have to re-invent the wheel, what is left to be done
should not take more than a very few hours, surely less than a day.
After all, we are not trying to invent a new wheel, here.  We just need
to implement technology that already exists in thousands of existing
applications.