ip address confusion

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 16:17:18 MST 2014

well yes.... but something was wrong. So I got other instructions:
 Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like
Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the
capability to supply more than one IP address using Dynamic Host
Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server capability. No changes are made to the
primary "router" configuration.

Step #1: Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s)

    Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same
subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in
the primary router. For instance, if the primary router's DHCP server
assigns IP addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100 to computers or
devices connecting to it, assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's
IP address, 192.168.0.253 as the IP address for another router, etc.

    Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect
to the router again for the remaining changes.

Step #2: Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router(s).

    Consult the manual or user's guide for the secondary router(s) to
locate the configuration area where the DHCP server can be disabled.

Step #3: Setup the wireless section

    If configuring a secondary wireless router as a wi-fi access point,
configure the router with the wireless settings you would normally use, if
this secondary router were to be the primary router; channels, encryption,
etc. Otherwise, you can skip this step.

Step #4: Connect the secondary router(s) to the primary router

    Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on
the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers
have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a
cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port
unconnected!