Laptop configuration : Linux, VM... etc

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Aug 1 11:45:07 MST 2014

On 2014-08-01 10:43, Todd Cole wrote:
> current software tools make it easy to convert a hardware os to a
> Virtual guest

Really?  Last year, I attempted to convert an older XP install running
on a Thinkpad T42p to a virtual guest environment, following the vmware
directions, and it failed miserably.  Then again, this was an XP box,
and laptops have all kinds of odd things going on.

What did/do you do to make it so easy?  If I ever have to p2v another
machine, I'd rather not waste hours following directions that don't
work.  The main problem is that I'd be p2ving another 'Doze laptop (7
this time instead of XP).

techlists at phpcoderusa.com wrote:
> You have some bragging rights with a 10 year old laptop that
> is still functional.

The aforementioned T42p was built in 2005 and is probably still
running--I gave it to an old friend who had his newer laptop stolen.
Some laptops (most Thinkpads, all Toughbooks, a few Dells) are built
well and will just keep going.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity