Laptop configuration : Linux, VM... etc

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Fri Aug 1 09:45:55 MST 2014

Hi,

I'm pondering buying a Dell laptop with an Intel Core i3-4030U processor
and 4GB of DDR3, 1600MHz RAM.

Benchmark seems decent :
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i3-4030U+%40+1.90GHz

CPU seems rather good :
http://ark.intel.com/products/81018/Intel-Core-i3-4030U-Processor-3M-Cache-1_90-GHz

I would like to load Linux on it to use it as a LAMP development box.
Most of my work is custom PHP, however I may need to spend some time
with Drupal which is a resource hog.  It is my hope running local-host
would mitigate some of the Drupal issues.

I might want to use it to edit videos and potentially images.

I was thinking of using a Modern IE
https://www.modern.ie/en-us/virtualization-tools in a Virtual Box
https://www.virtualbox.org/ so I can have Internet Explorer for testing.

I don't think I will need any other Windows software, or at least that
is my hope.

I have not done something like this before so I thought I would ask the
experts.  Is my approach solid or is there something I am missing or
should consider?

Thanks in advance,
Keith