htaccess not working....

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 19:43:41 MST 2014

Hi,  I am trying to get a .htaccess password file working.  It does not work.  I suspect it is the "AllowOverride All" causing the mod rewrite to not work.

I tried something different this time when I configured Apache.  I added a file named vhosts.conf in the /etc/httpd/config.d/ directory.  I have not modified the main httpd.conf file.  All changes have been made to the vhosts.conf file.

I added this just before the vhost container.

<Directory /home/user-directory/public_html>
    Options FollowSymLinks Includes ExecCGI
    AllowOverride All
    DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php
</Directory>

Maybe it is not working....

I am running a stock version of CentOS 6.5 with Apache/2.2.15.

Or there is an error.  I'm looking in the /var/log/httpd/error_log and find nothing that appears to have been caused by the htaccess.  Is there another log I should be looking at?

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Keith