Linux on USB

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 06:11:59 MST 2014

The guys at PLUS LIST have put together a wiki (see below) on building a
server using USB as primary boot devices.  I have successfully built 2
servers using their method.  Their method is most likely overkill for your
needs but you could use it as a base for the manual install.

http://tagcose.com/wiki/InstallDebian

I have also built a couple boxes using USB drives running Ubuntu 10.04 pre
UEFI boot.  As I recall it was as easy as going through the std install but
choosing to manually setup the disk partitions.

Since the box is going to be used for non - mission critical stuff you
might just try the automated install using Ubuntu 12.04.  If everything is
working on the USB just make a backup of the new system to a second USB
using dd if/when due to swap your Initial USB get hosed.