Linux on USB

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Thu Apr 24 20:58:15 MST 2014

>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM, AZ Pete wrote:
>>> This PC doesn't have USB 3.0, will USB 2.0 be fast enough?

Probably.  It won't be as fast as SATA, but it took 58 seconds to rsync
my ~ to a USB2 disk just now.  140G of stuff, 125M transferred, and this
is a spinny disk--a flash disk might be faster because of no seek time.

On 2014-04-24 19:49, AZ Pete wrote:
> Any sites that explain how to install Linux to a USB drive such that
> the system would view it as a hard drive?

Any x86 from the last 5 years will be able to boot from a USB disk.
USB disks all look like SCSI disks to the kernel.  As such, you can plug
the USB disk in, boot from an install CD, and tell that install CD to
use the USB disk as the place to put / and /home and /usr and all those
things.

Note that flash disks may eventually wear out.  After 300,000 writes, a
bit cell in a flash disk may not retain its value.  Wear-leveling
algorithms in the disk's controller usually mean this doesn't happen
until the disk is many years old.  Having swap on a flash disk and using
swap a lot might accelerate this process though--I can't really tell as
I've never put swap on a flash disk.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity