burning iso

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Thu Apr 24 11:41:04 MST 2014

On 2014-04-24 11:17, Michael Havens wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>>> I'm trying to burn an iso and brasero disk burner is not working. It
>>> says:
>>>  Please wait until the estimation of the size is completed.
>>>  All files need to be analysed to complete this operation.

Are you burning an already-existing ISO image, or taking files that
exist on your filesystem and putting those on a CD?  "Burn an ISO"
typically means the first thing; you have a CD image named
ubuntu_weaselly_walrus_20.0.iso and you're trying to put that on a CD so
you can boot from it and install the distro.

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Mike Ballon wrote:
>> "dd if=/home/myuser/my.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0"

This will probably work.  However, it's usually a better idea to use
cdrecord or growisofs so that they can turn Burn-Proof on with ioctl()s
and give you better error reporting than dd will.

> I think I'll try growisofs but I'm burning a cd not dvd.... does it
> matter?

growisofs is intended for DVDs.  I've always used cdrecord for CDs, but
I started burning CDs back when you had to use ide-scsi emulation.  The
first CD-R* or DVD-R* device should be visible as /dev/sr0 or /dev/scd0
, and writing to this device will not be possible unless your user is in
the right group (often "cdrom".)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity