InnoDB ( was: blank subject )

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Apr 8 12:54:47 MST 2014

Am 08. Apr, 2014 schwätzte Paul Mooring so:

moin moin,

> I'm curious as to why you recommend MariaDB.  I've used Percona pretty
> extensively for a while and it has worked well so far.  I haven't heard
> anything about it going away or waning in popularity either.  Is MariaDB a
> MySQL fork and if so why is it preferable?

Both MariaDB and Percona are forks of MySQL. I recommended MariaDB because
that's what RHEL and CentOS are moving to for the default version of
MySQL.

Any of the 3 branches can be a good choice depending on your requirements.
In this case I took into account the stated distro as a requirement :).
Also, it might be t hat his version of CentOS doesn't have a 5.5 release
of MySQL, but does have a 5.5 release of MariaDB.

Percona is doing quite well, as far as I know. The Percona Live conference
was last week. Percona's backup tool is what I would recommend for InnoDB
in any version if you aren't using snapshots. I've even submitted SCaLE
talks on it :).

In the last three years I've used all 3 branches in significant production
environments.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>
>> Am 08. Apr, 2014 schwätzte keith smith so:
>>
>> moin moin Keith,
>>
>> the short answer is: move to InnoDB :)
>>
>> InnoDB is much improved in 5.5, but it's fine in 5.1. If you're not
>> beating the heck out of the DB, then you're fine. If you are beating the
>> heck out of it, please bring in a DBA to help you out :).
>>
>> You'll probably need to change how you're doing backups.
>>
>> Does CentOS already have MariaDB? If so, move to that.
>>
>> RHEL is moving to MariaDB, so CentOS is as well. I just don't know which
>> release first had MariaDB or in which release MariaDB becomes the default.
>>
>> BTW, don't convert the internal mysql database to InnoDB, just your
>> application schemas.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>>
>>  I have a MySql database that is about 10 years old.  The tables are using
>>> the MyISAM data engine.   I see the default as of version 5.5.5 is now
>>> InnoDB.  The server is running a stock version of CentOS 6.4 with MySql
>>> 5.1.69.  We stay with the standard CentOS upgrade and do not update Apache,
>>> MySql, or PHP to other versions.
>>>
>>> As I look around it seems the InnoDB data engine is such a better deal.
>>> I'm thinking it might take several years, maybe longer, to see MySql 5.5.5
>>> in the standard CentOS install.
>>>

>>> In the mean time I am thinking that a switch to InnoDB might be the way
>>> to go especially since we are about to make some major modifications to the
>>> app that uses this database.
>>>

>>> I have not read anything about any problems in using InnoDB with MySql
>>> version prior to 5.5.5.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I should be aware of or any potential problems in using
>>> InnoDB with MySql versions prior to 5.5.5?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for all your help and insight!!
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>

>> --
>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/
>> #  "I guess I should've agreed with my boss more often. Today I was
>> replaced
>> #  by a bobblehead doll!" -- Randy Glasbergen, 13Mar2006

#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then
#  you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and
#  I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have
#  two ideas. -- George Bernard Shaw