Off Topic Server recommendations

Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 19:05:05 MST 2014

I will usually build my own server for anything i manage directly. For
anything that i am not likely to be around for i will generally use a dell
server.

I like building my own because i can get very granular with my hardware
needs and concerns and make the choices that fit the needs best (space,
performance, sound, purpose, cost, etc) but if it is something that may
become a support issue ever i will choose something with a very reliable
support contract. Hp has never been that for me, Dell has.

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Nadim Hoque <nadimhoque at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just want to get your experiences regarding server purchases. The server
> is meant for a small business with about 10+ people and does not need to be
> utilized 24/7. I was wondering if I should build my own or go with and OEM
> such as dell. I would consider HP but I do like Dell's direct to
> purchase/customization but I am free for suggestions. I was thinking an
> Xeon E3 quad core, about 8gb of ram, 4 500gb hard drives and that should be
> about it. I am thinking about building my own because a lot of the server
> boards come with IPMI support and the Dell model I was looking at was the
> T1102 which does not inlcude IPMI what so ever. Thanks for taking the time.
>
> --
> Nadim Hoque

Stephen