Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 07:42:22 MST 2013

There are many articles about how to get more up to date versions of almost
any software than you distribution carries in its official repositories.
LibreOffice is no different.  One can download it directly from the
LibreOffice site or you can add a PPA to your software sources.  There are
a few low risk drawbacks to doing so but they are minimal for a major piece
of software.  Just look at the LibreOffice.org site to see what the latest
version is or Google the question.

But you could first check what the Software center is offering because you
3.6? version is definitely old.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to get synaptic or apt to install a more recent version?
>
> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:
>
>> If you are seeing that, I would encourage you to upgrade.  That is some
>> basic functionality that is not working for you.  I've never seen such a
>> basic bug before.
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On 09/27/2013 02:52 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>>
>>> 3.6.2.2
>>> If I remember correctly it happens sporadically.
>>>
>>> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>>>

>>> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com
>>> <mailto:brian at snaptek.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     What version are you using, because I definitely can't reproduce
>>>     that. If I delete any of the cells, the answer is correct.
>>>
>>>     Brian
>>>

>>>     On 09/27/2013 12:53 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>>>
>>>         here is a good example... I found if I delete cells that
>>>         functions are
>>>         performed on (cell1+cell2=cell3) the total isn't recalculated
>>> (cell3
>>>         isn't right).
>>>
>>>         :-)~MIKE~(-:
>>>

>>>         On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Paul Mooring <paul at opscode.com
>>>         <mailto:paul at opscode.com>
>>>         <mailto:paul at opscode.com <mailto:paul at opscode.com>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>              I'm not really much of an office suite user, but my
>>>         experience and
>>>              the feedback I've heard has always been yes it is bad
>>>         compared to MS
>>>              Office.  I think Libre/Open office covers 90% of use cases
>>>         and is
>>>              more than capable of handling what most users need, however
>>>         it's
>>>              interface isn't nearly as good, it lacks the vbscript
>>>         macros the
>>>              rest of the world uses, it's charting/graphs don't look as
>>>         nice and
>>>              formatting comes out mangled when excel users open it (or
>>>         when you
>>>              open an xlsx).  Microsoft has invested a lot of time, money
>>> and
>>>              energy into getting Excel just right and it really is a
>>>         great (if
>>>              not their best) product.  The heavy excel users I know that
>>>         don't
>>>              run Windows keep a Win7 VM around for Office/Excel use.
>>>
>>>              As a side note I think one thing that the Linux/FLOSS
>>>         community is
>>>              very bad at is learning from what others get right.  You
>>>         might not
>>>              like Microsoft but to claim their popularity was in no way
>>>         due to
>>>              making some good products is disingenuous at best.  If
>>> people
>>>              genuinely care about increasing Linux desktop usage (which
>>>         is not of
>>>              any particular interest to me personally) the right
>>>         questions to ask
>>>              are about what MS and Apple get right rather than what they
> [...]

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.