replacement for red 7?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 20:41:03 MST 2013

As much as I would hate installing Win7 at a Linux installfest, we could
wipe the drive and do so assuming you have legitimate Win7 Install media.
The real questions would be whether it needs a secure wipe, what is the
hardware (to make sure it is adequate), and would you want us to install
VirtualBox and Ubuntu (either as host or guest OS).

While it is possible to install a Win7 without legitimate install media, I
would not wish to do so.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 8:30 PM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm at cox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:37:37AM -0700, Adam McCullough wrote:
> > Almost every error, crash, problem, or compile problem I've come across
> has
> > had at least some discussion of it, often including a solution. If not,
> > you're already on the plug mailing list, so you have a wealth of people
> > here willing to help you out, provide expertise, advice, and try to
> search
> > for a solution yourself. They're at least as good as what you'll find at
> > Red Seven or other places.
> >
> > Newegg, Frys, and other places are good sources of replacements/upgrades
> if
> > the problem is in the hardware.
> >
> > That's why, even though I liked the concept of a linux support store, I
> > never had reason to be a customer. Any problem they could fix was either
> > one I could already fix myself (with plenty of googling and trial and
> > error), or one I couldn't afford to fix myself, much less hire someone
> else
> > to do the same thing (hardware errors).
>
> What you're talking about has very little to do with what I'm looking
> for. There is no problem, let alone a hardware problem. I simply don't
> have the time to the research right now, so I need someone to wipe the
> drive and install w7 for her. Later, if I can convince her to abandon M$
> completely, I can probably wipe the drive and install debian or more
> probably ubuntu with xfce. From what I can see, the bios, or whatever
> passes for one, has no provision to boot off a cd or dvd. That means doing
> the whole operation off of a flash drive.
>
> --
> Bob Holtzman
> Your mail is being read by tight lipped
> NSA agents who fail to see humor in Doctor
> Strangelove
> Key ID 8D549279

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.