Display feedback while typing password in terminal.

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Sep 9 19:45:14 MST 2013

Changing it to echo the output would, in fact, break a TON of things, particularly if getpass() were changed, since a lot of calls like that don't actually have an attached terminal (we programmers do weird things sometimes).  Even passwd is used in situations where echo would break scripts and programs written with somewhat delicate assumptions about output.

The primary reason the password prompts don't echo input is precisely because knowing the exact length of a password is a huge advantage when trying to break into a system, and the echo could easily be picked up via network sniffers(packet count) or by various forms of offline or social attack, ranging from simple shoulder surfing to hacked wifi security cameras.

Adding the echo gets floated as an idea every now and then, and it usually results in a copy/paste of the same, quite vigorously unpleasant, response used in the past.

It's not too hard (as noted in other places) to add the visual feedback for the user if you're writing a program or GUI interface.
If the user is using passwd directly, they should be savvy enough to know it won't echo (or the admin can wrap passwd as suggested elsewhere).

==Joseph++