Learn Code Android

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Sep 4 19:11:57 MST 2013

That's a reasonable approach.  There are others, however.

For Android, if you don't know the Java language, but have some significant programming experience, then learning the Java language (Java SE 7) is a good place to start.
If you have no programming experience at all, then start with Javascript, HTML5, and CSS3.

If you do learn Java, then there is a whole host of developer tutorials, videos, API tutorials, etc... at the Android Developers site.
The Android Developer Studio IDE (customized IntelliJ IDEA, download from the Android Developers site) is a great tool for building Android native applications, and it's free.

If you start with the Javascript/HTML5/CSS3 route, then delving into Node.js (for the server side of the app), and building a few lightweight web-based applications on the Google AppEngine platform (to get some experience with the Google API's) is a good way to build up from there.
Web applications work well on Android (and any other Mobile O/S), but nothing beats native app performance, and for Android that means Java.

I'd wait on Objective-C until I had a few useful apps built for Android, since IOS (that's the only reason any sane person would learn Objective-C, in my opinion) is a much trickier environment to work with when building a mobile app.