gimp edge detect

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Oct 29 09:02:38 MST 2013

What you are looking for is called intelligent scissors, and it's got an
icon of scissors towards the top of the toolbox.  If you are using the
2.9 development version the intelligent scissors seem to be missing from
that version.  Hopefully that's just a temporary situation.

That being said, what you really want to do is brighten part of your
picture without brightening the parts that are already bright... you
also want to make sure that you don't brighten the darkest parts of your
image.

There are a lot of ways to do that.  The most straight forward is to use
Colors -> Curves and adjust the curve so that just the dark parts get
lightened.

My favorite way is to duplicate the image and then create a mask that
also has the image in it, and set the layer to "Screen".  That way the
image itself masks off the brigh parts of the image.  If you don't get
enough brightness with the first layer, just duplicate your new layer.
If you get a little too much, just adjust the opacity of the new layer
till you have the desired result.

Brian