video cables: 2 out of 3 ain't bad

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Fri Oct 25 08:57:31 MST 2013

HDMI is a subset of DVI that also includes audio so the adapters to go
between them are super cheap (Like $2 or $3 each unless you want audio
then they are closer to $12+).  So it doesn't really matter which one of
those you pick.
VGA is on it's way out, so I wouldn't go that route unless you have to.
  As the previous message said, you can usually get VGA out of a DVI
connector with an inexpensive adapter and most monitors will also allow
you to adapt them for VGA.  You just have to check to see which DVI
standard they conform to.  If it's DVI-I, then you are good to go.  If
it's DVI-D, then it only carries a digital signal and no amount of
adapters will get a VGA signal in or out of it.

One way to visually tell if you've got DVI with an analog signal is to
look at the DVI connector and see if it's got the 4 pins with a big flat
one between them like this:

O O
---
O O

If the four pins are missing, it's definitely a DVI-D connector.  It's
not fool proof though; I have seen connectors that have the analog pins,
but only supports digital signals.  I've also found some HDMI to DVI
adapters that had the analog pins on them, even though they are unused,
and in my case they got in the way because the connector I was plugging
them into didn't have the "guzintas" for the pins.  In that case you can
safely pull the pins out of the adapter with a pair of needle nose
pliers.  They come out easily since they aren't soldered to anything.

Brian Cluff