ZaReason FX-8350 vs i7-4820k

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Tue Oct 22 21:24:57 MST 2013

As a general rule...

AMD is generally slower, with more cores.  Its by design.  Their philosophy
is that the speed of a single core is less important than doing concurrent
operations.  This will not change when they finally release their Seattle
Fabric.

That said, they are right or wrong depending on the application.  Some
applications are more horizontal (can handle lots of concurrent operations
in issolation) while some are more vertical (lots of processes that depend
on the output of other processes).  If your usage is more vertical, you
will want those earlier threads finishing faster to get the later threads
processing.  Therefore Intel will beat AMD, badly.  On the other hand, lots
of processes, not having to wait, tips the performance scale more into
AMD's favor.

Looking at both, I find on the whole, Intel's approach tend to be the
better one for most individuals.

Kevin