OT: Best domain renewal rates?

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at Smarth.com
Mon Oct 14 16:50:04 MST 2013

Slightly offtopic - I recommend that you NOT use your web hosting
company as your domain registrar.  That way, if the web host goes stupid
on you (either by going broke, or by trying to hold your domains
hostage), all you have to do is get a new hosting company and have your
domain registrar point to the new location....

(assuming you have a backup of your stuff on the web host!)

Rusty

From: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.phxlinux.org
[mailto:plug-discuss-bounces at lists.phxlinux.org] On Behalf Of keith
smith
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 4:40 PM
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Best domain renewal rates?

To me it is about the registrar you know or trust the most.  I use
Godaddy because I know how they work and have the least amount of
distrust with them.  Several years ago I tried several different
registrars.  At one I actually had to let them know I was letting a
domain expire.  I did not know of that rule and the next thing I knew I
was receiving a letter from a collection company.  I was in the process
of buying a house so I paid the fees instead of fighting it.

There is the business side of all this also.  What is your time worth?
Is it worth spending several hours transferring domains, which is a
pain, to save a couple bucks?

If your domains have less than a month left on their registration, you
may not be able to transfer the domains in time.

Keith Smith

On Monday, October 14, 2013 3:38 PM, Eric Cope <eric.cope at gmail.com>