CUPS Interface Script

lee at citylightsphx.com lee at citylightsphx.com
Sat Nov 23 16:55:11 MST 2013

I am trying to set up a CUPS printer that will print a single print job on two separate printers.  I saw a technique online using a CUPS interface script, but it seems the interface script is being bypassed (the first line in the script uses echo to put some text into a
file in my home directory, which is not happening).  The method is to create a printer with the URI set to /dev/null and an interface that spawns two new print jobs, one to each of the two printers you want it to print on.  Here is what I have done:

Script
interface_script:
#!/bin/bash
echo "Interface script is running." >>/home/me/debug
lp -d printer1 $6
lp -d printer2 $6
Create Printer:  lpadmin -p twoprint -i interface_script -v /dev/null
-E

The lpadmin copies the interface_script into /etc/cups/interfaces/twoprint as expected and the permissions on the twoprint script are 755.  The CUPS LogLevel is set to debug2 and I don't see anything that looks to me to be an obvious problem in
/var/log/cups/error_log.

I had this working in the past, but now I am trying to set it up again and can't get it to work.  Does anyone have an idea why the interface script is not getting run?

Lee Cowles