Keyboards Followup / Paranoia

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 7 10:18:14 MST 2013

You can never be too careful!!

------------------------
Keith Smith

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:54 AM, Nathan England <nathan at nmecs.com> wrote:

I appreciate all of your thoughts who responded to my question about
keyboards. Thank you!

While I am positive I am on several watch lists already, I really don't
believe anyone would particularly care about my usernames and passwords
to online systems I use. But the thought occurred to me, and I like to
entertain my tinfoil hat once in a while, so what if someone were to
intercept the keyboard I purchase and place a keylogger in the firmware...

Is it possible to detect a keylogger built in the firmware of a
keyboard? Do all keyboards have firmware? What if the keyboard does not
have macros or extra keys or special keys (beyond blank keycaps)? Could
the USB cable itself be a keylogger?

How would you go about detecting that?

Seriously, I ask this tongue in cheek, but really am curious about the
answer! Thanks!

--
Regards,

Nathan England

NME Consulting Services http://www.nmecs.com
Nathan England (nathan at nmecs.com)
Systems Administration / Web Application Development
Information Security Consulting
(480) 559.9681