new computer

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Sat Nov 2 13:59:48 MST 2013

On 2013-11-02 13:40, Derek Trotter wrote:
> I had no trouble installing linux on that P.O.S. HP I have.  I just
> had trouble with it running linux reliably.

IME, if a machine won't run Linux reliably, there's something wrong
with its hardware.  This experience is limited to 14 years, 7 or 8
desktop x86 motherboards, 5 x86 laptops, and a large pile of Dell
servers, though.

Desktops:  2 boards, both micro-ATX, were built by the lowest bidder
and would fail on all kinds of reasonable things.  If you buy a cheap
motherboard, it'll behave badly.  Do not buy cheap motherboards if you
value your time.

Laptops:  All were IBM or Lenovo, all Just Worked.

Servers:  All Just Worked unless they were poweredge 2550s.

YMMV.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity