write on a pdf

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri May 31 14:14:24 MST 2013

All,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> Am 30. May, 2013 schwätzte Michael Havens so:
>
> moin moin,
>

>  I'd swear I asked this but it isn't in the archives. Hans said something
>> about acrostar but that was 7 years ago and I was wondering if anything
>> new
>> (better)has come about that allows us to input text onto a pdf. (the hans
>> comment was in a thread with the words 'fillable' and 'pdf' in the
>> subject)
>>

> xournal will ~write on a pdf~, but what it does is create a new file that
> contains an overlay. For the most part that works, but if you need to send
> the file to someone else you need to actually change the pdf.
>
> Once you have the changes you want, print to file and save it as a pdf.
> That will give you one file with the original pdf and your markup.
>
> There is a way to you open the original pdf properly and save properly,
> but, in my experience, it doesn't always work.
>
> I believe the other tool Ryan mentioned, Okular, will work similarly to
> xournal, I just don't use it very often.
>
> Both tools essentially allow you to GIMP the PDF file.
>
> If you have a fillable pdf, then use evince. If you want to save the
> changes you made ( which you should ), print a copy of that to file as
> well.

Of course, my "uses" for the pdf "overlay" are a bit nepharious, my very
favorite pdf tools are part of Didier Stevens toolset for hacking PDFs:

http://blog.didierstevens.com/programs/pdf-tools/

make-pdf-embedded.py will add various nice things (like shellcode) as an
overlay to the pdf of your choice.

I also like Metsaploit and Social Engineering toolkit for adding additional
"THINGS" to a PDF.  These are security issues everyone should be well
versed with, when using or opening a PDF.

http://www.projectshellcode.com/?q=node/29

I rather like IDA Pro 6.5 for other shell coding:

http://www.hexblog.com/?p=110

The fun with shell coding is never ending!

> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/**Classes/<http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/>
> #  ... All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**