32bit vs 64bit Linux

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Fri May 31 11:56:10 MST 2013

64-bit execution helps to speed up encryption and decryption as well as
file compression.
This aids in archiving, secure shells, secure sockets, and memory to
memory copy,
not to mention compiler (gnu) and linker (ld) speed-ups.

There are also hardware considerations besides memory size, such as
multi- channel
memory configuration and use of matched memory sticks. Upgrading to
64-bit can
get an even better throughput increase if all the hardware and BIOS
factors are in accord.

If your computer is using all available memory and a significant portion
of swap space, then
you have a situation known as "running from the disk".    If that is
case, your system will be
rather pokey and the remedy is to add more memory.  This can happen
regardless of whether
you are running a 32-bit kernel or a 64-bit kernel.