32bit vs 64bit Linux

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Fri May 31 10:32:55 MST 2013

Well, I'll expand the question...
Performance and memory access considerations aside, the reason why I have
always 'gone 32' is because applications availability.  Back when, flash was
the limiting factor because it was a PAIN to run it in 64 bits (if at all
possible).
And some other things...

For years, I've been lazily sticking to 32 bits to avoid potentially
problematic issues.  Now, if that landscape has changed, and
application-wise 32 and 64 bits are irrelevant, I'd certainly like to
convert to 64.

Question is (again, performance and memory access considerations aside):
What are the potential problems of running on a pure 64 environment for as
long as you stick to apt-get (or yum)?
ET